Sunday, May 9, 2010

World's Most Beautiful

So who else bought the Beautiful People issue of People? You know, the one with Sandra Bullock and her cute baby on the cover?  I did.  I like Sandra Bullock and I like looking at pretty people.  What I soon found out is I do not care for everything pretty people say.  Not that I would expect them to appreciate all of my musings but seriously, give people a shred more credit.  Case in point:  Beside a very pretty, some, like People for instance, would say she's beautiful and I would not disagree, Carrie Underwood states she feels beautiful giving herself to others like when she's raising money for a worthy cause.  Hmm, that's great Carrie but I do believe that has more to do with self-esteem than feeling pretty.  Carrie's picture shows her with a pretty white dress on and hair styled, make-up on and teeth whitened.  Again, to be clear, not discrediting Ms. Underwood for any of that as it's within context and if I looked like her and had her means I would do the same.  But in keeping with context let's save the feel good statements for another day.

Worse though is Megan Fox's statement.  Megan, who barely resembles the Megan Fox in the first Transformers movie.  Ms. Fox states, through her 'enhanced' pout:  "My idea of beauty is self-acceptance."  Hm. Is that why you have implants, a spray tan and what appears to be an allergic reaction?

Take a look at the below picture:


Now, were I to help all the hungry children of the world, looking like this, I would feel good about myself but not beautiful.  Clearly.

Exhibit 'B'




Here, with make-up on, I'm all about self acceptance, minus the plastic surgery, a la Ms. Fox.  And to all those boys out there who say a woman looks better with little to no make-up, take a look at the above photos and think again.  Granted, some woman are fortunate enough to pull off the naked face look.  I am not.  I'm not one of those who refuses to leave the house without make-up but always feel more confident with it on.  I don't think there's anything wrong with this although some would argue it speaks to a level of insecurity or socialization, and maybe that's so but you will have to pry my eyelash curler out of my cold dead hands.

Some of you will think I'm being hard on Carrie but if you have the issue or have looked at it, 99.9% of the players in this year's world's beautiful people list are what would be considered as conventionally attractive.  With the exception of Gabourey Sidibe.  It is very rare that Hollywood accepts a woman who is not a size 2.  Congratulations Ms. Sidibe!

No comments:

Post a Comment